Transform Your Home In Three Simple Steps
Not every home needs an exterior update, where does your house stand? Is it time to renovate the exterior of your home, or are we just talking a quick face lift? Let’s say you already know you need to do some exterior renovations, how do you get started? Who should you call?
If you’re a homeowner, you may already be thinking about revamping your home for the spring. Luckily for you, we’ve put together three simple ways to spice up your homes exterior.
1. Create A Dedicated Entertaining Area
Guests always migrate to the kitchen but with spring approaching it’s important that you have a dedicated entertaining area outside. First things first, why not create an atmosphere made for fun? To do this, layout your seating and lawn furniture in a way that encourages conversation and community. Gather around beautiful hardscape and add lighting to compliment your environment. With just a few simple changes, you can turn a basic layout into everyone’s favorite hangout without breaking the bank.
2. Check Out The View From The Street
Before you create the perfect atmosphere let’s make sure that you don’t have bigger fish to fry. Nothing ruins the mood quite like defective siding and loose gutters banging against your windows in the wind. Here are some key items to look out for when evaluating your homes exterior:
- Bubbling or Blistering – If your homes exterior is exposed to heat and moisture it can be prone to this damage. Further exposure can lead to additional damage to your protective layer.
- Dents and Chips – Dents, chips and cracks are often evidence of hail damage and can prevent your siding from acting as a protective barrier for your home.
- Dry Rot – This is caused by fungus and moisture which often weakens the overall siding system and greatly reduces its effectiveness. Not to mention it can be quite unsightly.
- Cracked Material – There are a variety of different factors including natural elements that can cause your siding to crack. Unfortunately, this often gets worse over time and invites water to penetrate your home.
- Loose Material – We see this too often, many factors ranging from poor installation to wind damage and foundation issues can make materials loosen over time. This prevents your siding from effectively protecting your home from the elements.
- Rotting Frame, Muntin Bars, Exterior Trim, Sashes (if windows are wood) – All caused by exposure to moisture. Overtime, this will compromise the entire window system’s ability to protect your home. Not to mention, it’s not aesthetically appealing.
- Inability to Operate – Caused by an array of different factors, this can be a sign of more serious issues. For instance, it prevents you from properly ventilating your home when you need it the most.
- Brittle Putty and Sealants – This damage is caused by weather exposure over time. This deterioration reduces the performance of the window and gives water a place to penetrate your home.
- Wood Rot Near Gutter Locations – Not only can this be caused by problems with your gutter system but it also shows that the gutters are not effectively carrying water way from your home.
- Overflowing Gutters – This can be caused by an array of different potential problems including issues with your roof. Shows that your gutter system is not working properly.
- Sagging Gutters and Weak Attachments – As time goes on and your roof ages, it’s subject to normal wear and tear. However this could also be a sign of poor installation. Sagging allows water to rest in low spots and puts additional strain on your gutter system, it’s important to address these issues as soon as you notice them.
- Evidence of Improper Yard Erosion – This is one thing you want to be sure to take care of especially if you plan on updating your landscape.Yard erosion can wash away essential soil and eventually destroy plant life and landscaping.
By the way – if you see any of these red flags, it’s probably time to get a professional involved. You can start by asking your friends, family and neighbors for references. Do some research online and find a company that is dedicated to actually helping you get the most out of your home.
Good contractors will have extensive experience and knowledge regarding your situation. They should be able to offer multiple solutions so that you can choose the best option for you. We offer a free in-home consultation for homeowners just like you – click here if you are interested in chatting with one of the experts on our team.
3. Instant Curbside Upgrades
Simple updates to the front of your home can make a world of a difference. Try adding easy DIY shutters or even a beautiful planter box. To do this, look for recycled wood that you can clean and add new life to. The materials are easy to find and there are plenty of tutorials to choose from. A fresh stain coupled with contrasting flowers will add depth and a new vibrant look that everyone can appreciate!
A homes exterior needs more than a fresh coat of paint. When you’re tackling a new exterior project be sure to keep your homes health in mind. Poor exterior conditions causes stress for way too many homeowners in the Defiance area. Wagner Metals Roofing & Remodeling strives to make things simple as possible for homeowners all while keeping the homes health top of mind. If you’d like to schedule time to discuss how we can help you, give us a call. We take pride in our neighborhood and would love to bring the best out of your home.